Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"Good" Housekeeping Tip of the Week: Simple Storage Technique

As I pride myself in being something of a up-and-coming Martha Stewart, I thought I'd make it a point to share with you some domestic tips and techniques that I find make for a cozy home.

Tip #1: Simple Storage

Efficiency is key to a well-run household. Try keeping anything you may use during the week out in plain sight, where it is easily accessible. I find that the living room floor is best for this sort of thing. Just spread any items you would normally “put away” over the entire floor. That way, when you’re looking for the baby wipes, all you have to do is trip right over them and, voila! There they are!
This will also give you loads of new-found free time. Instead of wasting time “tidying” and “straightening,” when you are through with something, just drop it on the floor, wherever you happen to be at the moment.
BONUS: This storage method also provides a great game for the kiddos. It’s like 3-D Where’s Waldo, with socks/pens/scissors/permission slips/etc. instead of a dorky guy in a striped hat.
Can you find: A dump truck, a book of essays by a Pulitzer Prize winning author, a mute dwarf, a halfway decent credit card offer, safety scissors, the letter "s," and an overpriced hair bow in this picture?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That method is going to be a sure hit for many! Easier and more practical than a lot I've seen lately. Gramma Merrilee

Beth O'Hagan said...

This seems to be the way I live.... glad I have mastered it! Thanks for pointing out what an "effective" way of organizing it truly is.